Thursday, September 28, 2017

Conversation - the Gaping Hole in Social Media Learning Networks

I can't believe I'm saying this - me - a type D personality on the DiSC Personality test - a "do-er".  Well here you go world - I'll even put it in writing.
I need a little more conversation over here.
Tasked with building a personal learning network through social media, I have to tell you - I was psyched.  I LOVE Twitter chats.  Sitting on my couch in my pjs, while the husband watches 1970 sci-fi flicks, I can engage in dialogue around educational leadership (#DLNchat). I love surfing Twitter to catch up on emerging "awesomeness" reading posts from @Getting_Smart. I couldn't wait to see what else was waiting for me in LinkedIn, Google+, and Facebook.


Google+
Prior to searching out a personal learning network, I used Google+ to share class photos with families and colleagues.  As the ugly step-sister in the social networking world, Google+ served as a quiet media outlet where all of the other important posts of the day wouldn't bury the fun images of my students engaged in project-based learning.

I'm sad to say my reluctance was only reinforced when the first group I joined turned out to be a middle-eastern sales ploy with posts on obscure technology devices.  The group had 34 thousand members.  How could that be a scam?

So, I decided to look for people instead of groups.  Again, disappointment loomed.  These really amazing people I found could be sorted into two groups.  One group made a big splash of posts never to be heard from again.  The other group is full of people on their soap boxes.  No one asked provocative questions to spark conversation.  No one posted looking for ideas.  Google+ was a real minus in my book.


LinkedIn
"Look at me!"  If I remind myself that PLN is personal - LEARNING-network not personal SOCIAL network, I am able to engage with the interesting reads that land on my LinkedIn feed. TeachThought posts regularly and the content is outstanding.  I get excited when I see their logo appear on my screen.

Just in the last week, I decided to branch out and post articles that I found on other sites instead of only "liking" and "sharing".  This "bold" move brought a few more connections my way, but it left me feeling like something was missing.  It was great for the ego that others like my ideas, but where are those who want to have a conversation about the post?

Facebook
With more than one BILLION Facebook pages, I was confident that I would find people willing to talk in this venue.  I am a member of a group called "Teacher Idea Sharing", but it has been quiet since last year - seriously, not a single post since October of 2016.  It generated a few good conversations, but I guess like all non-essentials: out of sight, out of mind.  So, I sought new groups and sent join requests to two (Teachers Helping Teachers Grow and Instructional Designers in Education).  As of the writing of this blog, however, I haven't been accepted Instructional Designers, but I have fallen in love with Teachers Helping Teachers...

What, So What, Now What
In short, after a week or two of trying to make new friends, I'm going back to my old hang-out: Twitter. Folks who tweet are friendly, frequently willing to engage in discussion, adept at maintaining momentum and darn it, they just plain like me.  For anyone reading this blog hoping to glean guidance on building his/her own PLN, my advice is to think about your learning style.  If you just want to read and process on your own, LinkedIn and Twitter offer current and relevant reading material.  If you want to socialize and are willing to be patient to find the right group (Goldilocks style), Facebook has great potential.  For those who are social learners and need to talk to process content, come hang out with me on Twitter (@outofboxed), we can learn together!

5 comments:

  1. Great blog. I love that you explored all the options available and was supported in your expressing similar experiences. I too have found over the last week or so that I appreciate the Twitter forum far more than LinkedIn, Google+ or Facebook. The feedback is more productive and positive and, as you mention in many cases - present! I look forward to following you on Twitter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Thanks! Do you have a favorite chat or person to follow on Twitter?

      Delete
  2. I am still getting used to using Twitter consistently, and must admit I am more prone to share/post than check out the Home feed. I am looking forward to getting back to the TwitterChats next week, after a month of neglecting that path.

    I will keep this in mind and return with any that I find I'm consistently engaging with.

    For a long time on Twitter (my owldove acct) I have enjoyed John Cusack's political shares, and I follow a lot of comedians and Al Franken, who is both. Education is a new realm for me though. It's exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find a few aspects of this blog interesting. The first is with LinkedIn I also enjoy reading what is posted because it is usually relevant to what is going on right now. I never thought about how no conversations are started. I liked that you pointed it out and it is nice to know that people are reading your posts but where is the conversation to help the topic fully develop. I also liked that you pointed out all of the positives of each social network because I do believe that they are all valuable in different ways and you really highlighted them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading this Allison! Have you found a social media venue that you really like?

      Delete